CALL: +353 (0)94 954 5649
PIPE CONDITION ASSESSMENT
Our services enable the customer to gain a solid overview of their water networks and facilitates long-term cost benefits due to elimination of ad-hoc leaks causing high mobilisation and repair fees and by supporting effective capital expenditure planning for renewal and pipe rehabilitation programmes.
Non-Disruptive Pipe Condition Assessment
UPLS are the leaders in the field of non-destructive testing of iron and steel water mains. This technique will provide a structural lifetime analysis and is used under pressure with no effect whatsoever on supplies to customers or on water quality.
NON DESTRUCTIVE METHODS
By using the ultrasonic method of measuring, data can be obtained to produce a comprehensive map illustrating the remaining useful metal in the pipe wall. By using additional information such as ground conditions, pipe age and both internal and external protection, an assessment of the remaining life expectancy can be calculated. The colour representation illustrates both the remaining structural pipe wall thickness and highlighting corrosion pits and graphite plugs.
Sonomap is a versatile digital ultrasonic imaging system for a range of applications. When it is used with a positional tracking system and the relevant ultrasonic transducer, comprehensive and high quality corrosion and erosion maps can be produced.
It is UPLS’s aim to provide affordable solutions to the problem of determining pipeline structural condition, enabling you to make informed decisions about the most effective treatments for the rehabilitation of your assets. This process can also be adopted to provide information on the condition of any metal structure, vessel or container without the need for costly de-commissioning.
The Ultrasonic technique has some particularly useful advantages when used for tubular inspection.
- High Sensitivity. Allowing very small imperfections to be detected.
- Good Penitration Power. Allowing the inspection of thick sections.
- Accurate Determination of imperfection position and severity.
- Fast Response Time. Permitting high speed automatic testing.
- One Surface Access. Access is required to only one surface of the product being inspected.
Probe positional information is observed and recorded via a video camera, which tracks a small infra red LED mounted on the transducer. By utilising software programming the computer simultaneously gives positional transducer location, reviews the synchronised ultrasonic signal and converts the ultrasonic thickness reading to an assigned colour. This is displayed as a coloured “pixel”.
The computer constantly updates the image in real time always updating with the thinnest reading. This is then recorded at the designated x-y co-ordinate and built up into a colour image of the test area showing colour related thickness readings in graphical format.
ULTRASONIC INSPECTION SUMMARY
Materials: Cast Iron , Spun Iron, Ductile Iron, Steel
Size Range: Any
- No risk of contamination, discoloration or supply failure due to other under pressure drilling failures.
- Cost Effective as out turn costs are cheaper than taking a destructive sample.
- Ultrasonic method is historically proven by the oil and gas industry.
- Increased accuracy of remaining life calculation due to the large amount of data collected.
- Guaranteed to keep an investigation programme on target.
- Suitable qualified and experienced technicians are needed to conduct scan and interpret data.
- Small or Large Strategic and Non Strategic Pipelines.
- Rehabilitation Investigation.
- Remaining Life and Remedial Recommendations